Sunday, January 29, 2017

Nigella's Gnocchi Gratin


Winter hasn't arrived to Kentucky yet. Instead, we're having rainy dreary weather, with a slight chill in the air, and it is enough to drive anyone batty. Nothing but rain, rain, rain. Day after day. Car pool line at school in the rain, getting kids on and off the bus in rain, inside recess--day after day. Spending half the day wet. Not ideal. Not ideal at all. We've reached the point where teachers are praying for a snow day. 

All hope was placed on tomorrow since the forecast showed a few inches of snow possible tonight. And yet, as I write this I can see the snow turning to rain midair and I know that the even if the snow makes it to the ground it won't stick. At this point the best we can hope for is black ice.

So we turn to comfort food to get through these rainy dreary days with no hope of snow in sight. Nigella's Gnocchi Gratin is rich and ultimately indulgent. Plump little potato dumplings in a creamy cheesy sauce with a crispy breadcrumb topping will certainly help cure all your woes. Served in my new find, a vintage enamelware casserole pan. I just love rustic look of the worn out edges and the character it adds to the overall dish.

I'd definitely recommend this if you're in the mood to try something different. The flavors of this dish are very reminiscent to a potato au gratin and for good reason. Similar ingredients. Different consistency. You really can't go wrong here. I think everyone is a sucker for those little plump potato dumplings, especially when tossed in a cheesy sauce. This would be wonderful served with a roast of some sort and also just as good served on it's own with a salad. Of course it would be even better served on a snowy day! One can only dream!


Gnochhi Gratin
Adapted from Chatelaine.com
by Nigella Lawson
Serves 4

1 cup mascarpone cheese
1/4 cup milk
1/2 cup grated parmesan
salt and pepper, to taste
454g pkg fresh or frozen gnocchi
2 tablespoons breadcrumbs

Position oven racks in top third and center of oven. Preheat to 400F.

Whisk mascarpone with milk in a shallow oven safe saucepan (wide enough to hold gnocchi in a single layer) and set over medium. When mixture starts to bubble, 1 to 2 minutes, turn off heat. Add 1/4 cup parmesan and whisk until it melts.

Grind black pepper and nutmeg over cheese mixture. Sprinkle with salt and set aside.

Cook gnocchi in a medium pot according to pkg. directions, about 2 minutes for fresh or 12 minutes for frozen. Drain gnocchi and stir into cheese mixture until coated. Spread out into an even layer.

Stir remaining parmesan with bread crumbs and sprinkle over gnocchi.

Bake in center of oven until bubbly, about 15 minutes. Adjust heat to broil.  Broil in top third of oven until top turns dark golden, about 2 minutes. Let stand for at least 10 minutes before serving.

 
Theme: January Potluck @ IHCC!

5 comments:

  1. Oh, I love the idea of this for a cold snowy evening for sure. And you don't have to make the gnocchi by hand (which means I would never make this, lol). Frozen gnocchi, on the other hand, are a whole different scenario...looks great. I'm in Indiana and we are having the strangest winter...no snow here either. This is not a complaint. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I generally try to make a new version of mac and cheese each valentine's day...this might just be the winner for this year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a very cheesy dish, and cheese is always good

    ReplyDelete
  4. The idea of a comforting gratin to dispel the chills and dreary weather works for me. Really like your vintage baking pan. Can't keep my eyes off it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am very much a fan of Nigella and love her recipes. How did I let this one escape my attention? I think I need to Pin this one and try it next week.
    Hope you are well!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! At the moment I am having a huge problem with spam so I've had to add comment moderation and close off comments to anonymous users. I apologize for the trouble and hope to return my comments to normal shortly.