Sunday, July 6, 2014

Chicken Cakes with Lettuce and Mayo


Anything containing bacon is a pretty much delicious.  In fact, any recipe containing bacon is almost always a sure bet with my family, which is the reason I took notice of this recipe and I'm so glad I did!  These chicken cakes were a HUGE hit!  Crispy on the exterior and perfectly tender on the inside, these chicken cakes are brimming with the irresistible flavors of bacon and cheese.  The cakes are perfectly tasty all on their own, but are even better wrapped inside a lettuce leaf with a dollop of mayo.   A perfect appetizer or light meal.  We thoroughly enjoyed these!


Chicken Cakes with Lettuce and Mayo
Recipe adapted from BBC Food
Serves 4-6

2-1/2 ounces breadcrumbs
1 pound ground chicken
6 pieces of bacon, cooked, cooled and crumbled
1 egg
1 lemon, zest and juice
6 sprigs of fresh thyme, leaves only 
3 heaped tablespoons Parmesan cheese
salt and black pepper, to taste
oil, for frying*

To serve: Lettuce Leaves and Mayo
*Note: I used leftover bacon fat to fry the chicken cakes 

Place the breadcrumbs, chicken, egg and chopped bacon into a mixing bowl. Grate the lemon zest in with the chicken and bacon, then halve and squeeze the lemon. Add the lemon juice to the mixture with the roughly chopped thyme leaves. Tip in the grated parmesan. Season the mixture with a little salt, then more generously with black pepper. Mix thoroughly.

Shape the mixture into small balls or patties. Warm the olive oil in a non-stick pan. Fry them in the oil, about eight at a time, for 4-5 minutes until they are crisp and golden-brown on all sides. Lower the heat and leave to cook through to the middle, about 6-8 minutes more. I tend to turn them no more than once or twice during cooking so they develop a crisp, slightly sticky exterior.

 Remove the cakes from the pan and place on large, crisp lettuce leaves, add a dollop of mayonnaise and wrap the cakes in the leaves.

Theme: Starters & Nibbles

9 comments:

  1. This does look like a flavorful and family-friendly nibble. I like the idea of enjoying them as a lettuce wrap too. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that's a fun and tasty looking starter! I love the idea of a little hand held lettuce wrap.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy smokes! These look wonderful! I've come off of making salmon cakes and these little chicken bites fit in the same little fritter family of nibbles! Will be trying them very soon, albeit probably not frying in the bacon fat! Wink!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kim,
    I almost made this! It looks delicious! Serving them in lettuce wrap looks really, really good, and with mayo, my kids' favourite dip, would definitely be a hit in my house!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kim, these look fantastic. You're right - everything is great with bacon - and these have got so much flavour going on. And I totally love the idea of wrapping these in lettuce and mayo. I would love a couple of these right now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The bacon is alluring! I have to pin this to make it, sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What fun patties! I bet you could serve them on buns and pass them off as burgers...or grill them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Let's see. Chicken. Bacon. Cheese. How can you possibly go wrong with those ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, love these ingredients! Im going to try my best at making these. Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! At the moment I am having a huge problem with spam so I've had to add comment moderation and close off comments to anonymous users. I apologize for the trouble and hope to return my comments to normal shortly.