Tuesday, November 2, 2010

A Thanksgiving Dinner Burger Challenge


It's Turkey time and there is a new trend this year: The Thanksgiving Dinner Burger! Over the past month or so I've seen all kinds of fun and unique twists on burgers using all the typical ingredients that you'd find on a Thanksgiving Dinner table. If you've been following me for awhile, then you know I am easily excited, and the idea of a Thanksgiving Dinner Burger really excites me. I like the idea so well I thought I would host a Thanksgiving Dinner Burger Challenge and I'd love to have you join me.

What is a Thanksgiving Dinner Burger?


A Thanksgiving Dinner Burger can be a recipe that you follow or an original creation by you. There are no real rules, and it does not have to be a turkey burger, but it should be inspired by ingredients that you find on your Thanksgiving Dinner table. Ingredients on Thanksgiving tables vary from home to home and any or all of these ingredients are welcome in this challenge. Feel free to be as creative as you'd like.


Fun Twists on Common Burger Buns
Pumpkin Burger Buns
Cranberry Studded Burger Buns
Cornbread Muffins (little mini burgers)
Parker House Rolls
Sweet Potato Rolls
English Muffins
Maple Oatmeal Rolls or Buns
Pecan, Walnut, or Chestnut Breads

Ideas for Mix-In's/Toppings:

Cranberry Sauce
Cranberry Mayo
Cranberries
Apples
Stuffing
Sausage
Gravy
Greens: Spinach, Chard, Kale, Collard
Mushrooms
Sweet Potato
Potato
Nuts of any kind

A few fun examples of Thanksgiving Dinner Burgers are:

*Turkey burgers served on homemade pumpkin burger buns
*Little turkey burgers made into sliders on cornbread muffins
*Turkey and Stuffing combined into a burger and served with cranberry mayo
*Turkey burger topped with bacon stuffing, cranberry sauce, and hot gravy
**NOTE: These are examples only. Turkey is not the only meat of choice as far as the actual burger goes. All vegetarian options, as well as any other meat, are perfectly good options in place of ground turkey.

Guidelines:
To join along in the Thanksgiving Dinner Burger Challenge, simply post your burger anytime during the month of November. Once posted, please send an email, along with the permalink of your post, to tony.tracy@att.net. I will include your entry in a roundup which will be posted here at Stirring the Pot on December 1st.

Stay tuned...I'll be posting my Thanksgiving Dinner Burger complete with sweet potato fries and a pumpkin pie milkshake very soon!

27 comments:

  1. I live for the thanksgiving burger/sandwich. And by live for it, I mean I order it every time i go to this sandwich place across the street from my apartment. I ordered it so much last year that I had to stay away from it because, well, my thighs were none too pleased. Can't wait to take part in this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun challenge--I will see if I can be creative enough for this. ;-)
    Your pictures are making me crave a burger right now and I just ate dinner. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a great idea!!!! And a fun challenge...but seriously...a thanksgiving burger! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like fun, Kim! I'll definitely try to think up something...with all of my favorite flavors...YUM! I'm starting to drool just thinking about it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun challenge. You've gotten very creative Kim. The turkey sliders on cornbread sound very southern and tasty to me.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow--a Thanksgiving dinner burger sounds fabulous!! Can't wait to see what you will come up with! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds interesting! And a good excuse to enjoy another round of TG style food.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh...reading about ground turkey made me remember that I made the trick or treat turnovers you posted before Halloween. Made them with ground turkey and did half mustard, half ketchup for the 1/4 c of mustard. Tasted like a cheeseburger! The Boy absolutely loved them. The Husband started coming up with other filling ideas...like cream cheese and cinnamon for dessert.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great idea Kim! I'm looking forward to seeing all the yummy creations!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Look at you, keeping it healthy by using turkey. I am a huge fan of turkey ands just don’t get enough of it during the year. So I have all of November for this challenge? I will try and make you proud.

    ReplyDelete
  11. cool idea and can be a fun idea for leftovers

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful idea Kim ...... mmmmmmmmmm what will I make?????????

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great idea! I have ground turkey in the freezer and leftover cranberry sauce in the fridge. Kismet!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a fun idea you came up with, Kim. I can just imagine the possibilities and how much fun everyone is going to have with this. I can't wait to see what you come up with so we can all give it a go too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a fun idea. I'll have to toss this one around a bit for inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is a wonderful idea! That first burger picture has me drooling! Now I'm thinking about some flavor combos...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Kim, great idea! The sky is the limit on this one and I love all the great options you are giving! I'm going to have to think hard on this one :o)

    ReplyDelete
  18. this is such a great idea, as they say, sometimes the leftovers are better then thanksgiving itself! i'm going to have to think of some ideas, how fun!

    ReplyDelete
  19. That is a wonderful idea!!!I had a delicious turkey sandwich a couple of months ago with stuffing and cranberry relish and it was fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh what delectable fun! I read all these challenges and cannot partake because getting up a blog post has been challenging enough.I look forward to reading everyone's tasty ideasand incporating it into my life.
    P.S.I just saw a review of Geometry of Pasta in the paper today so methinks it hasn't hit the bookstores.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm so happy you went ahead with this Kim! I'll try to come up with something clever. Thank you for your sweet comment about Project Food Blog - knowing you're supporting me helps a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Okay! This is going to be fun to follow all the different burgers. It never occurred to me-What a great theme.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is such a fun idea! I want to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is a fun idea... although I don't know if I am quite clever enough to come up with much. But if nothing else it would be fun to see what others come up with. The sweet potato fries and pumpkin milkshake sound like fantastic sides to a burger, I LOVE sweet potato fries! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I will get in on this one if work doesn't kill me in the next two weeks. Sounds like a fun idea.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Kim, this is such a super idea . . . creative as all get out! I just love it! I am just now getting around (this Saturday morning) to reading all those that I follow and am sorry that I just found out about the challenge. I'm hoping to catch up with everyone's posts this weekend (as you've read, my parents are with me for 2 months, and they think that I'm addicted to the computer! I'm a little scared that I just might be!) So I'm sneaking time (I guess like booze) to go online when they're busy to do my blogging reading and posting. I know that you've got a few posts up that I need to go back and read, so I'll be commenting more later! Hugs, Roz PS....I'll put on my thinking cap for this neat challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Kim, I am going to be in Iowa from Wednesday this week until next Monday for Thanksgiving at my sister's house. I am wondering about how 'burger' like the sandwich needs to be. I'm not sure if I'll be able to grind turkey up at my sister's place. I don't want to break any rules, so can you let me know.....paige1and2(at)wildblue(dot)com? I wish you and your family the absolutely most lovely and beautiful Thanksgiving. Kim, you are by far the best foodie blogger friend in the blogosphere! Mwah, Roz

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! At the moment I am having a huge problem with spam so I've had to add comment moderation and close off comments to anonymous users. I apologize for the trouble and hope to return my comments to normal shortly.