Friday, November 19, 2010

Slow-Cooker Bacon Jam


Each month, either on the 15th or 16th, my new issue of Martha Stewart's Everyday Food magazine gets delivered to my mailbox. Don't worry, I'm not stalking the mailman. Er....well, maybe I am. He does arrive at my mailbox about 10:15 every morning. Is it bad that I know that?

I cozied up on the couch with my December issue this past Tuesday and quickly noticed this recipe for Slow-Cooker Bacon Jam. I mean....HELLO, Bacon Jam? Where has that been all my life? Then I thought of my friend Beth over at The Seventh Level of Boredom and I knew this recipe would be perfect for her new food adventure, The Bacon Games.


Slow-Cooker Bacon Jam

Adapted from the December 2010 Issue of Everyday Food Magazine
Makes 3 cups
Active Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 4 HR

1-1/2 pounds sliced bacon, cut crosswise into 1-inch pieces
2 medium yellow onions, diced small
3 garlic cloves, smashed and peeled
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup packed dark-brown sugar
1/4 cup pure maple syrup
3/4 cup brewed coffee

In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium-high, stirring occasionally, until fat is rendered and bacon is lightly browned, about 20 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer bacon to paper towels to drain. Pour off all but 1 tablespoon fat from skillet (reserve for another use); add onions and garlic and cook until onions are translucent, about 6 minutes. Add vinegar, brown sugar, maple syrup, and coffee and bring to a boil, stirring and scraping up browned bits from skillet with a wooden spoon, about 2 minutes. Add bacon and stir to combine.

Transfer mixture to a 6-quart slow cooker and cook on high, uncovered, until liquid is syrupy; 3-1/2 to 4 hours. Transfer to a food processor; pulse until coarsely chopped. Let cool, then refrigerate in airtight containers, up to 4 weeks

Per 2 tablespoons: 191 calories, 12.6 fat (4.9 g sat fat), 10.8 protein, 8.1g carb, 0.2g fiber

Notes/Results:
I think everyone should have a little bacon jam in their life. You can literally put this stuff on anything: bread, burgers, pizza, steaks, sandwiches, eggs, potatoes, chicken, fish....you name it! The combination of the bacon, sugar, maple syrup, onions, and coffee makes a smoky, sweet, tangy combination that is really unique and quite delicious. The jam keeps in the refrigerator for up to 4 weeks, but with so many uses it will never last that long. It is best served warm.
Timing Note: I will confess that it took me almost double the time for the prep, more like 50 minutes instead of 30 minutes, but I'm never usually in a hurry when I cook.
Additional Note: My bacon jam wasn't as photo friendly as in the magazine. I added a touch of chopped parsley and a little sprinkling of freshly cooked bacon to spruce up the photo. If you do choose to make this, make sure to use a food processor and follow the directions to coarsely chop the jam.

For now I plan on making some breakfast sandwiches and also some cheeseburgers with my bacon jam. Anyone have any fun ideas? I'd be happy to hear all about them!

22 comments:

  1. Bacon AND coffee? Do you need to slab it on anything? That's breakfast.Maybe you need the eggs. Maybe scramble eggs with some jam or put a dollop in an omelette.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG I can totally see me slathering that between two waffles and walking out the door to work with it shoved in my big, gaping pie-hole! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,

    That's a great looking breakfast with bacon...:)yummy...:)

    Dr.Sameena@

    http://www.myeasytocookrecipes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. So when I read "bacon jam" I thought "Oh, yeah, baby!" Then I read that there's coffee too and I thought I might just pass out. How can this not be good?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kim!!! Im your newest follower! Ohh Emm Gee!!! I am so NOT a cook but im TRYING! Could you FedEx all this food to me IMMEDATELY?? Im a daily read of yours and so want to do this! I have an interior design business and blog and im doing 14 days of xmas trees...I have a GREAT GIVEAWAY TOO!

    *ENTER CUSTOM FLORAL Give-Away Here *

    xoxokara

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whoa! Whoa! Bacon jam-sounds awesome-perfect to finish off pizza, burgers,egg-oh my!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do you think I could somehow incorporate this into Thanksgiving? Bacon jam and brie perhaps? Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I cannot have this in my house :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I added myself to follow your blog. You are more than welcome to visit mine and become a follower if you want to.

    God Bless You :-)

    ~Ron

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a new one for me. I can see that it would have many uses. You've got me thinking.
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  11. BACON jam! oh my goodness, i would eat this off of a wooden plank. what a fun idea, it sounds out of this world!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't think i would be able to resist this at all! I would be slathering it on everything!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yep, this would even be delicious on a piece of cardboard I think. I would probably just stand in front of the fridge and shovel it in my mouth. ;-)
    I am tagging it to try.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This stuff would be a perfect Christmas gift! YUm :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. OMG - just the thought of this makes me want to weep. I cannot wait to make this - that has got to be unbelievable :-)

    Kim - while I'm here, just wondering if you can help me with a query. I had a query from one of my readers last week, who is a keen baker, and after reading my Cranberry & Almond Cookie post is quite keen to get one of Giada's books - she was wondering which one has the most cookie recipes in it. I seemed to remember you saying that you have a few of Giada's books - any suggestion as to which one would be best for her to get?

    Sue :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I sure sat up at attention with this one, Kim! Bacon jam? Lead me to it! My boys would adore this.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, what an awesome idea! I have never even heard of bacon jam before. I think cheeseburgers are definitely the way to go - and panini. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  18. Now this looks interesting...I love bacon so I am sure I would love this! THanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm thinking a spiral sliced pork loin with bacon jam stuffing would be rather phenomenal.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I had some Skillet spread on my holiday and this recipe is pretty close to how it looked out of the jar, except the ingredient list said balsamic vinegar instead of apple cider. Gonna give it a go!

    Thanks! Come see the results in a week or so!

    Sandra
    http://www.torontobites.net/

    ReplyDelete
  21. I stirred it into my Mac and cheese - and I will do it again! :-) Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. OMG!! Can't wait to try...Bacon and COFFEE!!! I can just taste this spread on a burger or even a low cost roast!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! At the moment I am having a huge problem with spam so I've had to add comment moderation and close off comments to anonymous users. I apologize for the trouble and hope to return my comments to normal shortly.