Tuesday, November 30, 2010

French Fridays with Dorie Monthly Roundup


One of my friends, Mimi of Mimi's Kitchen, had a great idea to do a monthly roundup of the French Fridays with Dorie recipes. I liked the idea so well, that I adopted it and decided to do it myself. Without further adieu, here is my first monthly roundup of this month's French Fridays with Dorie recipes.

Without a doubt, Dorie's Roast Chicken for Les Paresseu (roast chicken for lazy people), is my favorite pick of the month. Hmmm...maybe there's a hidden message in there somewhere. Seriously though, it may very well be my favorite roast chicken recipe ever. I know, I say that all the time. What can I say? I find it hard to quell my excitement. I will say that I liked this version even better than Ina's, which is saying a lot.

I think maybe the secret might lie in using a roasting dish that hugs the chicken. Either way, the chicken browned wonderfully, it was moist and tender, and the flavor was amazing. I was more than impressed with Dorie's recipe.

Of course, it's hard to knock a recipe for cheesy and cream-laden potatoes. Dorie's Potato Gratin (Pommes Dauphinois) was in fact a real delight.

How could it not be?

Marie-Helene's Apple Cake was a pick from October that I just got around to making this month. A very moist cake, filled with chunks of apples, and distinct rum flavor, we enjoyed it with a side of apple pie ice cream.

Not only was this cake perfect for the fall season, it would also be perfect for someone watching their waistline. Most desserts don't fit into a diet plan at all, but this one fit in nicely, without all the feelings of guilt. The ice cream, of course, is another story altogether.

And, finally Dorie's Pumpkin-Gorgonzola Flans. I eagerly awaited the day when I could make these without all the critiques of what was going into them. No one in my family appreciates pumpkin or any type of blue cheese. Crazy folk I live with, I know...

The flans had a very smooth and silky consistency, with a strong pumpkin flavor. The gorgonzola paired beautifully with the pumpkin and was a nice contrast in flavor. I do feel like it was the toasted walnuts that made the dish and added a nice contrast in texture. If you enjoy these flavors together, then this would be a fun recipe for you. It certainly is beautiful to look at as well.

**In lieu of my family's finickiness, I skipped the Caramel-Topped Semolina Cake because I didn't think they would enjoy it and I hardly need to eat an entire dessert myself.

Which one do you think would be your favorite? Or, if you were lucky enough to try them all...which one was your favorite?

15 comments:

  1. You are so hard on my pocketbook. I just bought Dorie's book and have Symon's on my wish list. The roast chicken is indeed a feast - and I love pumpkin and blue cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so impressed that you've really stuck to FFWD! I have been so bad about cooking anything from it. Need to get my life together.

    I loved the choices for this month, especially that flan. And the apple cake. And the chicken. And everything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I wouldn't hesitate to try them all that's for sure. But I think the potatoes would be my favorite. There are very few potato dishes I don't want to be bffs with!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with what Claudia said - you are my influence for purchasing Tyler Florence's book and now...I may need to get Dorie's book too!

    The French Friday theme has me very intrigued....do you recommend it?
    I just visited your previous post...wow, what a roast!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need those potatoes in my belly pronto.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous round-up. My problem is that my round-up would have exactly one thing in it. I have got to get busy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh my gosh, i'm feeling so french right now! it all looks so good. i LOVE roasted chicken, so this would go over very well in my family. and those potatoes! mmmm, warms my belly!

    i hear you on the flan, my family would do the exact same thing. sometimes i just gotta put my ear plugs in and make it anyway! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Everything looks so good Kim! I put this book on my Christmas list today! It's hard to pick a favorite - I think I'm leaning towards the apple cake!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the round-up! They were all great dishes, yours look fab!

    ReplyDelete
  10. They all look wonderful ... would it be too greedy to choose each and every one of them!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful recipes!!!I would love to try the pumpkin gorgonzola flans!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Okay, I'm hungry. I see you guys post all of these wonderful dishes of Dorie's and I think I can do that or I'd like to try this. BUT when I look through the cookbook I'm overwelmed and think the recipes are too much for me. Unlike yourself and Girlichef I'm kinda a wimp in the savory foods category. Honest? My kids especially the twins are waaay more daring. One of them loves to try new foods and dishes.

    Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving!
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  13. Everything looks wonderful but that Apple Cake really caught my eye--Yum! Very fun to see all you made. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would have to say my favorites would be the Pommes Dauphinois. I'd rather have seconds of that than any pies or anything, that's just how I roll:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great job Kim! So glad you joined the monthly roundup.
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! At the moment I am having a huge problem with spam so I've had to add comment moderation and close off comments to anonymous users. I apologize for the trouble and hope to return my comments to normal shortly.