Sunday, November 21, 2010

Bacon-Wrapped Pan-Roasted Fish and Red Potatoes with Spinach


I wish my pictures had turned out better because this bacon-wrapped fish was so succulent, tender, and moist. I loved every bite of the fish, especially alongside the sliced red potatoes, which were doused in a sauce consisting of three magic words: creamy mustard sauce. Amen!
Bacon-Wrapped Pan-Roasted Fish
Adapted from Live to Cook by Michael Symon
NOTE: Symon uses 8 3-ounce skinless walleye fillets in his recipe
I couldn't find walleye here so I used tilapia
Serves 4
8 3-ounce skinless walleye fillets (I used tilapia)
Kosher salt
1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
16 strips bacon
1 tablespoon canola oil

Season the fillets with salt and sprinkle with the thyme. Rub on side of each of the fillets with the butter. Rest one fillet on another, buttered side to buttered side, to make four portions. Lay down 4 strips of bacon overlapping the strips. Arrange one portion of fish on top and wrap the bacon slices up and around the fish. Repeat with the remaining bacon and fish portions. Transfer to a large plate, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 1 hour.

Preheat the oven to 425F.

Heat the oil in an ovenproof saute pan over medium heat. Add the fish fillets to the pan seam side down and saute the fillets to render the bacon, 3-4 minutes per side. Place the pan in the oven to crisp the bacon and finish the cooking the fish, 2-4 minutes. Remove to a tray lined with paper towels to drain before serving.


Red Potatoes with Arugula

Adapted from Michael Symon's Live To Cook
Serves 4-6
Note: I subbed spinach for arugula because I happened to have a mass of it in the fridge.
2 pounds 2-inch red potatoes
Kosher salt
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup chicken stock
2 tablespoons whole-grain Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
Freshly ground black pepper
1/4 to 1/2 pound arugula
Put the potatoes in a large pot and add enough water to cover by 2 inches. Season the water well with salt and bring to a boil. Cook until the potatoes are tender when pierced with a knife, 30 to 40 minutes. Drain them and let the moisture steam off. When they're cool enough to handle, peel them if you wish. (Huh? ....who does that?) Cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices.

In a medium saute pan, whisk together the cream, stock, and mustard. Reduce by one-third over high heat, about 5 minutes. Add the potatoes and toss to coat. Stir in the butter and season with salt and pepper to taste. When the cream comes to a simmer, add the arugula (spinach). Continue to cook until the arugula (spinach) is completely wilted, about 45 seconds.

Notes/Results: This bacon-wrapped fish would be a great way to introduce fish to anyone, especially children. The bacon is a decadent touch and adds great moisture and flavor to the fish. This recipe, along with the potatoes, makes for a quick and great weeknight meal.

This recipe is being submitted to Ashlee at Veggie By Season for the Symon Sundays roundup.

17 comments:

  1. Kim - looks beautiful. I agree this is a great way to cook fish, and often appeals to those who might not ordinarly be so keen on fish. I often do monkfish wrapped in pancetta, which is heavenly.

    I love the potato dish as well - that totally up my alley. I would also be substituting spinach as, for some obscure reason, even though I adore arugula I can't stand it wilted - funny thing :-)

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kim, let me assure you that your photo is perfect! My mouth is watering and I'm wondering how quickly I can grab my copy of Michael's book.
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  3. this looks wonderful I need to try it will book mark it

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it looks gorgeous--so decadent and appealing. The sauce on those potatoes sounds heavenly too. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bacon does make everything taste good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yours looks like it came out so well Kim! I have no idea what happened to mine. Oh well. You have gotten me so excited for that potato salad though!

    ReplyDelete
  7. There's fish in my freezer from our last trip. Guess what it's being turned into? The sooner the better.

    Absolutely nothing wrong with the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That Symon cookbook is on my wish list. Walleye is the Minnesota State Fish! Abundant in the lakes and prized for its mildness - and $$$. I often go with tilapia also. Bookmarked because this is oh so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  9. YUMMY! i love fish, but my family isn't that crazy about it. i bet they'd like it if i made it like this though! tilapia is the best, it's inexpensive and so versatile. great dish kim!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree with Ingrid. Your photo is mouthwateringly good! Great dish Kim! The creamy mustard sauce sounds so good!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ha! Got you on a bacon kick now, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well, I don't know Kim, those photos look pretty darn good to me. Enough to make me copy the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I usually tolerate fish at best, but this looks like a truly delicious way to prepare it :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mmm, that spud salad is the perfect accompaniment - it all looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks really skrummy.

    I'm looking forward to trying that potato recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  16. If I was going to try fish (ick), I'd try one of Symon's just because his wings are so damn good.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This sounds amazing Kim! I saw it over at Joanne's and can't get it out of my mind! I am gaga for red potatoes. His cookbook is on my Christmas list - hope someone buys it for me!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! At the moment I am having a huge problem with spam so I've had to add comment moderation and close off comments to anonymous users. I apologize for the trouble and hope to return my comments to normal shortly.